Books We're Currently Reading

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Meg Ryan in My Head

I think I have realized the root of why I enjoy writing a blog. It all goes back to my favorite movie that I watched about 1 billion times with my roommates in college. Especially my roommate Kate, who shared my ability to watch a movie almost every day and still laugh every time.

It began with You've Got Mail, and after a while we began watching Remember the Titans. We could quote each movie flawlessly with voice inflection and hand motions. More than once, our boyfriends (now husbands), would politely ask us to STOP!

Anyway, I recently went to see the movie Julie & Julia. In it, Julie writes a blog. Throughout the movie you hear her read her blog as she types. Now that I have started this whole blog thing, I realized.............In my mind, there is an audio of my blog being played out loud. The funny thing is, it is not my voice but the voice of Meg Ryan. Although You've Got Mail wasn't about a blog, she also "reads" her emails as she writes them. Her questions to Joe Fox, (Tom Hanks), her quirky comments and sayings..........are all said out loud as an interesting narration of her day.

And so, this blog is the narration of my day. If you can read it in the voice of Meg Ryan, and the personality of "Kathleen Kelly"you may get a better glimpse of the tone in which I write.

kathleen Kelly

"I don't really want an answer. I just want to send this cosmic question out into the void. So good night, dear void."
Kathleen Kelly, You've Got Mail

Just a few more quotes.......... Dedicated to My Dear Kate....

"Joe? Just call me Joe? As though you were one of those stupid 22 year old girls with no last name? Hi, I'm Kimberly, hi I'm Janice. Don't they know you're supposed to have a last name? It's like they're an entire generation of cocktail waitresses."

"Mr. 152 insights into my soul."

"The whole purpose of places like Starbucks is for people with no decision-making ability whatsoever to make six decisions just to buy one cup of coffee. Short, tall, light, dark, caf, decaf, low-fat, non-fat, etc. So people who don't know what they're doing or who on earth they are can, for only $2.95, get not just a cup of coffee but an absolutely defining sense of self: Tall. Decaf. Cappuccino."

1 comment:

  1. HA! I love it Jaym. And yes, I was quoting the movie right along with you as I read it! I like "Kathleen Kelly's" voice, so you go right ahead and blog in her tone (although I like yours equally as much). I don't remember the boyfriends "politely" asking us to quit quoting, as much as rolling their eyes and turning up the volume on the music currently playing in the 4-Runner. I think I could actually see the hair on the back of Nolan's neck bristling! :) Those were very special times for sure. Love you!
    P.S. Sheryl....Sheryl!! I. DO. NOT. CARE.!

    ReplyDelete